One of the most important factors to consider in cannabis products is the CBD to THC ratio and the general effects the specific product is known to produce. When we talk about ratios, we’ll list the CBD number first, followed by the THC ration, like 5:1, that’s 5 parts CBD to 1 part THC.
Regardless of what you choose, remember when starting cannabis therapy, start low, and go slow. Depending on your cannabis experience and symptoms, you’ll be making changes to your regimen and will slowly increase the amount of THC in your products as your body builds tolerance.
The following will help you pick a starting ratio that you’re comfortable with.
CBD Dominant Products
- CBD only products, those without any THC, will not get you high.
- CBD dominant products are always a good starting point if you’ve never tried cannabis or haven’t had any in a while.
- Most patients can start with a more CBD dominant like a 5:1 or even a higher 12:1 product and feel results.
- Most of the products like tinctures, vapes, and oils are concentrated, so don’t be fooled by the low THC value, you may feel some euphoric effects, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing, it just depends on what you’re looking for.
- With the right dosing strategy, products with CBD heavy ratios can provide the relief you’re looking for without feeling too much, or any, euphoric sensation.
Equal or Similar Ratio Products
- These products tend to have about the same amount of CBD and THC, 1:1.
- Some people choose this because the CBD dominant products may lack the THC needed for their therapy or because they wish to experience some euphoric effects.
THC Dominant Products
- THC dominant products produce much stronger highs.
- Patient with chronic conditions or really high tolerance of THC, may need to use higher THC products to get the correct cannabis therapy for their medical problems.
- Those who are new to cannabis may want to start with a CBD dominant or similar ratio products to get acquainted with the effects of marijuana.
- Many flower products are high THC with virtually no CBD. If you want to start with flower, maybe avoid the straight THC products and get something more balanced.